Interesting Facts About Our Teeth and Space:
Effects of Space Environment on the Oral Cavity:
- It has been found that being in space has the ability to increase our levels of dental plaque. Further the levels of tartar or calculus build-up has also been found to be increased.
- Levels of Gingival inflammation were also reported to be higher. One potential factor to explain this could be that it is more difficult to adequately clean the teeth in space.
- Levels of some bacteria in the oral environment are also found to be increased.
- It has been found that wound healing in space is also decreased or delayed.
- Anaerobic or aerobic bacterial level.
- With potentially longer space missions on the horizon; the oral environment in micro-gravity is an area of interest to help prevent any dental emergencies on long haul space missions.
If you wish for more information on dental emergencies or if you have any dental queries please do not hesitate to contact Skygate Dental today at (07) 3114 1199 or 0406 579 197.